I have been a resident of Oak Ridge since 1974, when my parents brought our family back home to East Tennessee after an early childhood in South Florida. My two brothers (Roger and Terry) and I grew up in Oak Ridge and attended the Oak Ridge School System. I graduated in 1980, and then enrolled in Roane State Community College, where I met and married my wife Maryjeane Krusen (Mary to all of our friends). Mary and I have been homeowners in Oak Ridge since 1985.
We have two sons: Chuck (age 22) just graduated from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, with a Mechanical Engineering degree; and John (age 17) an upcoming senior at Oak Ridge High School.
Since 1982, I have been owner/operator of Chuck's Car Care Center (CCCC), a full-service automotive repair center in Oak Ridge. CCCC employs seven full-time employees and has an $800,000 annual budget. In the fall of 2008, we moved into a completely new customized automotive repair shop. In addition to providing state-of-the-art automotive service, CCCC is also the oldest continually run Budget Truck rental agency in the area and the only propane refill facility in Oak Ridge. My ability to organize, prioritize, delegate and control work flow coupled with my analytical, interpersonal and leadership skills make me a top candidate for working with customers and solving the day-to-day issues of a service-oriented business. Graduating from the Management Success Program in 2004 and Leadership Oak Ridge in 2005 this background provides the perfect backdrop for my community involvement. My community involvement includes, but has not been limited to:
- Active member since 2004 of the Oak Ridge Chamber of Commerce and Bronze Millennium partner since 2007
- Appointed to the Board of
- Directors of the Chamber in 2008
- Served as the Chairman of the Board of Directors in 2010
- Appointed to the Oak Ridge Beer Permit Board in December 2005
- Appointed to the board of directors of the Oak Ridge Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB) in May 2006
- Elected as the Chairman of the board of directors for the CVB in June 2007 serving in that position for two years
- Appointed to the B&W Y12 Community Relations Council in 2011
- Appointed to Oak Ridge City Council to fill an unexpired term in July 2011
Besides all the civic boards and business boards I sit on, I am very much involved in our city's youth soccer that I have coached for more than 17 years. This has been a great pleasure. Not only was I able to watch my kids grow up playing sports, but I am known as "Coach" to several hundred kids in town. It is a badge I wear with pride, and of all the names I may be known by, this is the one I like the best. I have also volunteered at the Secret City Festival for the past seven years, which has allowed me to really get to know a lot of the city staff, as I have had to work closely with them throughout the festival. The last several years I have also volunteered at the Lavender Festival on traffic control and this has allowed me to meet and greet a large number of visitors to the festival. One of my most cherished accomplishments has been that of Tool Coordinator on the Cedar Hill Playground Projects, both in 1988, as a co-coordinator, and then again in 2011 as the main coordinator, this
allowed me to again work closely with the city staff in the Parks and Recreation dept. I have a long-time relationship with many of them through my involvement with youth sports and playground projects.
I have been involved in a wide range of sports including soccer, motorsports, and golf. I also enjoy reading, hiking, gardening, and woodworking. I am an avid high school football and soccer fan, and enjoy going to the games all over the state. I really enjoy being with my family and friends and having a good time here in our great city.
- Youth soccer team coach in Oak Ridge for more than 17 years
- Serving on the Oak Ridge City Beer Permit Board since December 2005
- Serving on the Board of the Oak Ridge Convention and Visitor Bureau since May 2006
- Have served on the Oak Ridge Chamber of Commerce Board since 2008, and as Chairman in 2010
- Coach Administrator with AYSO Region 390 of Oak Ridge for three years
- Several board positions with Tennessee Dirt Karting Association
- Member of Business Network International since October 2006, and chapter president in 2008
- Family was an Ulster Project host during July 2005 and July 2010
- Serve as a deacon of our church, The Rock Church in Oak Ridge
- Field Coordinator / City Liaison for Soccer Club of Oak Ridge for over 2 years
- Tool Coordinator for both Cedar Hill Playground Projects, 1988 and 2011
- Currently work with school system and Pro2Serve, to update high school soccer complex
- Newly appointed to the B&W Y-12 Community Relations Council.
- Serving on Oak Ridge City Council since July 2011 Professional Development
- Graduate of the Management Success Program (2004)
- Graduate of Leadership Oak Ridge (2005)
- Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification (1991)
- Graduated from Oak Ridge City Schools (1980)
Term Expires: November 2024