Smoke Alarm Program
Free Smoke Alarm Program
The Oak Ridge Fire Department's Smoke Alarm Program is a free service provided to the residents of Oak Ridge, funded by Grants to provide working smoke alarms to residents in need. ORFD will come inspect your alarm for you, change your batteries, and/or deliver and properly install a new 10-year battery smoke alarm for free. Please call 865-316-8775 to schedule the free appointment or fill out the online form.
Smoke alarms are a key part of a home fire escape plan. When there is a fire, smoke spreads fast. Working smoke alarms give you early warning so you can get outside quickly.
Make sure you have smoke alarms on every level of your home (including the basement) and inside and outside sleeping areas. Don't forget to test each alarm monthly and replace them if they are over 10 years old.
In addition to having working smoke alarms, follow these other important tips to make sure your home is fire-safe:
- Always stay in the kitchen when frying, grilling, or broiling food.
- Check to see that matches and lighters are kept up high in a cabinet with a childproof lock.
- Develop a home fire escape plan with two ways out of every room and an outside meeting place. Share and practice the plan with every member of the household.
- Keep portable space heaters and candles 3 feet away from anything that can burn, including people, furniture, and pets.
- Always turn off portable space heaters when you leave the room or go to bed.
- Have the chimney cleaned and checked regularly.
- Do not smoke in bed.
- Make sure that all matches and ashes are cool before being thrown away.
- Make sure that extension cords are in good condition and are used to power small items only - never major appliances.