Senior Advisory Board
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
The function of the Board shall be to provide advice to City Council on senior-related issues including but not limited to: health, nutrition, safety and security, recreational activities and facilities, and transportation, all in order to enrich and enhance the quality of life for seniors in Oak Ridge.
In performance of its functions, the Board is authorized to:
- Recommend and conduct, as required, any studies or reviews as advised regarding the assessment of needs, development, and maintenance of a program of activities and services that meet the needs and wishes of senior citizens in Oak Ridge so that seniors may continue to contribute, participate, and share in the life of the community.
- Cooperate with any group or organization in any way that will aid in fulfilling its functions to enhance senior lifestyles.
- Make recommendations regarding policies for (1) use of the Senior Center and (2) the reserving of certain hours for exclusive use by senior citizens.
- Adopt any rules and procedures it feels advisable for the conduct of its meetings.
- Act as a sounding board for senior citizens in the community who seek new or altered opportunities for activities, education, policies, and services.
- Support the use of the Senior Center as a source of education and programming for senior health, nutrition, safety and security, recreational activities, transportation, and intergenerational interaction.
The Board is comprised of eleven (11) members representing the public at large. Preference may be given to residents who reflect a variety of ages as well as knowledge and background in senior interests such as health, safety, recreational activities, and transportation. Members are elected by City Council for three-year staggered terms. Six (6) members constitute a quorum.