ORPL Goes Fine-Free
Major Changes Coming to Oak Ridge Public Library
Oak Ridge, Tenn. (June 30, 2023) - Beginning July 1, 2023, Oak Ridge Public Library will no longer charge overdue fees for materials that are returned late. Additionally, the library will automatically renew eligible items that have not been returned if the item does not have a hold. Patrons will still be charged for lost or damaged items. Here is how it will work:
- When an item is checked out, it will be due back in three weeks for books, CD-books, music CDs, and launchpads or one week for movies and Wi-Fi hotspots.
- If a book, CD-book, music CD, or a movie is not returned by its due date AND no one else has it on hold, the item will automatically renew.
- Wi-Fi hotspots are not renewable.
- Launchpads will not renew automatically. Please talk to the Children's Room staff to renew a launchpad.
- Book club sets will not renew. Please talk to the Main Desk staff to renew a book club set.
- Interlibrary loan items will not renew. Please talk to our Interlibrary Loan clerk to renew one.
- Patrons will be notified via text or email, letting them know the status of their items whenever an automatic renewal is attempted.
- This will happen through 2 renewal periods of 3 weeks each. Patrons will still receive a 3-day notice prior to items being due.
- After an item has been renewed twice, it will be due back at the library. If the item is not returned on the due date, the card will be blocked from checking out other items, including online materials from Libby and Hoopla, and from using library computers until the items are returned.
- Patrons will receive an overdue notice 7 days and 14 days after the due date asking for the item(s) to be returned.
- Thirty days after the final due date, an item changes from overdue to lost. If a patron has any lost items, the card will be blocked. If the item is not returned, the patron will be charged the full cost of the item plus a processing fee.
- Interlibrary loan items are still subject to overdue charges. Since the rules regarding late fees are set by the loaning library, Oak Ridge Public Library does not have the authority to waive late fees charged by other libraries.
We are no longer able to accept replacement copies for items that are lost or damaged. When a book is lost or damaged, the patron will be charged the cost of the original item plus a processing fee.
Changes to the Book Drop
The library now has a drive-up book drop located on the access road as you are leaving the library parking lot. This will change the traffic pattern and parking rules so please be on the lookout for new signs and traffic flow.
The indoor book drop has moved to the white wall near the copier and bulletin boards.
About Oak Ridge Public Library:
Oak Ridge Public Library is located at 1401 Oak Ridge Turnpike. The library serves a community of more than 30,000 and features a Children's Room with special programming as well as an extensive archive facility with materials dating back to the early days of Oak Ridge and the Manhattan Project.