frequently asked questions

i need an officer but don't think i should call 911.

The non-emergency number for Dispatch is (865) 425-4399. This number can be called anytime you need a Police Officer or Animal Control Officer dispatched to your location OR if it is after normal business hours (Mon through Fri 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.).

If you need to file a report you can also come into the Police Station any time to do so. You will enter through the single glass door in the rear of the building and pick up the phone on the wall, which will connect you directly to dispatch. The dispatcher will then get in touch with an officer to meet you. 

how can i obtain a copy of a Police Report?
Police Reports are given out by our Records Department. Please allow 3-5 business days after an incident for a report to be available. No cases involving juveniles or those under investigation will be given out.

There are four ways you can request a report:
(1) fill out a Records Request Form and email it to or turn it in at the Records window
(2) come into the Police Department and make a request at the Records window
(3) call Records at (865) 425-3512
(4) mail the Records Request Form for a request with the name, date of birth and incident date or location along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: 

Police Records
P.O. Box 1
Oak Ridge, TN 37830

There is a fee for reports:
  • accident and case reports are 15 cents per page
  • all mailed requests are 15 cents per page (checks are to be made out to the City of Oak Ridge)
  • all requests from insurance companies are 15 cents per page
how do i request an officer for a special event or as a guest speaker?

An Officer Request Form will need to be completed and submitted to the Chief's office via email or dropped off at the Records window. You can also come into the Police Department and fill out the form.

how do i apply for a Parade Permit?

You must fill out a Parade Permit Request and submit it the Chief's office via email or drop it off at the Records window. You can also come into the Police Department to fill out the request. You will be notified via phone when the permit is ready for pick-up. Please submit the request thirty (30) days prior to the event. 

can i Make an appointment to speak to ORPD staff?

Absolutely. There are two ways of doing so. You can email us to schedule an appointment or call us at (865) 425-3504. Please provide us with a few pieces of information: (1) your name, (2) phone number, (3) best time to contact you, (4) the purpose/reason for the requested appointment, (5) days/times you are available to come in, and (6) the name of the person you wish to talk to, if it is known.

I would like to Turn in an application.

All applications must go through the Personnel Department. Please click here to view openings. Personnel can be reached at (865) 425-3564.

i want to Pay a ticket.

Officer issued tickets can be paid at the City Court Clerk's Office located in the Municipal Building. 

How do i request a background check?

You will need to fill out a Criminal Background Check Form.  You can complete the form at our Records window at the Police Dept.  Background checks are available at a cost of $5.00. 
*Note:  You MUST sign and date the form in front of Records personnel.  Any form signed previously will be not be accepted.