Personnel Advisory Board
Risk Management Home
City of Oak Ridge Home
Current City Job Openings
You can receive an application by walk-in, email, or write to the Personnel Department, City of Oak Ridge, Municipal Building, P.O. Box 1, 200 S. Tulane Ave., Oak Ridge, TN 37831-0001, or telephone the office at (865) 425-3564. The Personnel Department email address
. You may also click
to download a copy of our application. Your application will be accepted at any time by mail,
, or during regular office hours,
, Monday through Friday. Resumes may be forwarded to the Personnel Department at the above address. You need only one application to be considered for all vacant jobs that you qualify for. You must fill out the application form completely, and all statements on the form are subject to verification.
POLICE OFFICER AND police officer TRAINEE
The City of Oak Ridge is recruiting for Police Officer and Police Officer Trainee applicants to fill current vacancies and future openings. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Prior law enforcement experience is preferred.
Police Officer Trainee Police Officer
I; Step 1 / $17.39 per hour J; Step 1 / $18.78 per hour
1. Be a United States citizen
2. Be at least 21 years of age
3. Possess excellent moral character for carrying out law enforcement duties
4. Be free of a criminal conviction record
5. Possess a valid driver’s license (if applicant lives out-of-state, he/she must be able to obtain Tennessee Driver’s License 30 days after employment)
6. Be of proportionate height and weight
7. Ability to pass (a) police officer selection test, (b) physical ability test, (c) panel interview, (d) background investigation, (e) psychological examination, (f) medical examination, (g) drug screening, and (h) interview with Chief of Police
8. Must have a High School diploma or GED and one of the following:
a. Have successfully completed at least 60 semester hours of college credit with coursework in any subject matter. Credits from any accredited college or university will be accepted; or
b. Have served in the Armed Forces of the United States, including the Organized Reserves and National Guard, for at least two years on active duty and, if separated from the military, have received an honorable discharge; or
c. Have served at least three (3) years in a full-duty status with a full-service law enforcement agency in a municipality, county, or state within the United States, and be currently employed, have resigned, or be retired in good standing.
Applicants meeting ALL of the mandatory qualifications above are eligible to take the written test that will be given on Wednesday, November 28, 2018 in the Shep Lauder Room )Gymnasium) at Oak Ridge Civic Center, 1403 Oak Ridge Turnpike, Oak Ridge, TN 37830. Applicants will be admitted at 8:30 a.m. The written test will begin at 9:00 a.m. and should take about two hours.
Immediately following the written test, applicants will be given a physical agility test. Applicants should wear or bring loose fitting exercise clothes and shoes suitable for running.
Other selection steps for some applicants may include an oral interview, a psychological evaluation, background investigation, drug screening, and medical evaluation.
Individuals who desire to participate in the selection process by taking the written and physical agility tests must have a completed City of Oak Ridge Employment Application on file in the Personnel Department by
12:00 noon on Friday, October 26, 2018
Public Safety Communications Officer (Dispatcher)
H – 1 ($15.95 per hour; $33,176.00 annually)
PRIMARY JOB TASKS:
1. Operates multi-line telephone including Police, Fire, Ambulance, and Police Department routine and in-house lines.
2. Dispatches Police, Fire and Ambulance personnel on a routine basis. Dispatches wrecker service, Animal Control Officers and stand-by Public Works and Electrical employees as needed. Enters dispatch information into computer database.
3. Answers citizen inquires on telephone and walk-in basis or refers to proper department.
4. Uses NCIC computer to run checks and enter information on stolen property, wanted persons, criminal histories, and other items; sends administrative messages through NLETS systems to other agencies; runs driver's licenses and registration numbers through TIES. Maintains and updates warrants on in-house computer.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
1. High School graduate with one year of Public Safety communications related experience and TIES Certification or the ability to obtain the required certification after training.
2. Prior experience with PC based computer systems, Public Safety radio and paging systems, computerized telephone systems, and a variety of standard office equipment.
3. Able to type, excellent language and writing skills and good telephone voice.
4. Ability to remain calm and efficient under stress and to use tact in dealing with citizens and fellow employees.
5. Ability to determine seriousness of situations reported and to use discretion in determining appropriate allocation of emergency resources.
Position involves rotating shift work. Applicants will go through various selection steps including appearing before an oral interview board, a psychological evaluation, a medical examination and drug screening.
To participate in the selection process for this position, you must have a completed application on file in the Personnel Department of the City of Oak Ridge by
12:00 noon Friday, October 26, 2018
SCHOOL CROSSING GUARD
$10.00 per hour before deductions for Social Security and FIT
DESIRABLE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
1. UTK, KC, PSTCC or RSCC student, part-time Schools employee, retiree, homemaker or other individuals with flexibility in arranging their personal schedules.
2. Must be able to work 10 hours per week – Mornings 7:45 to 8:45 a.m. Monday thru Friday; Afternoons 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. except Wednesdays when hours are 1:00 to 2:00 p.m.
3. Must be at least age 18.
4. Must be in good physical condition since position involves working in all types of weather conditions.
5. Must have ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with children and the general public.
6. Applicants are subject to background investigation and drug screening.
If interested in this type of employment, please place an application on file with the Personnel Department.
Electric Line Technician (Lineman)
Entry level - $38.26 per hour/$79,580.80 annually
PRIMARY JOB TASKS:
Works with various Electric Department crews in installing or repairing high voltage electrical distribution system components, electrical meters, traffic signals and controllers, and electric fixtures in City facilities. Must perform both underground and overhead work.
1. High school diploma or GED with basic knowledge of trigonometry and a basic understanding of the principles of electricity.
2. Must have successfully completed a four-year electric lineman apprenticeship training program.
3. Completion of an electric line tech program with an apprenticeship program and specialty in electric metering.
4. Possession, or ability to obtain within six months of appointment, a valid Tennessee Class A Commercial Driver's License with air brakes endorsement. The ability to manipulate the controls of large trucks and backhoes.
5. Physical ability to lift and hold fifty (50) pounds to the shoulder level; to work in all weather conditions and on all types of terrain; and to tolerate heights and confined areas. Manual dexterity which permits the use of hand tools while wearing size 8 or larger high voltage gloves. Physical ability to climb electrical poles. Good peripheral vision and adequate hearing (natural or corrected). A lack of life threatening sensitivity to insects and various weather and environmental conditions.
6. The ability to operate various types of construction equipment including backhoes, dump trucks, digger-derrick trucks, bucket trucks and trenchers.
7. The ability to work safely close to energized high voltage cables, wire, and equipment, and to work as a member of a team.
8. The ability to interact effectively with supervisors, co-workers and the public and to closely follow oral and written instructions.
9. Must pass medical evaluation and drug screening prior to appointment. Subject to random alcohol and drug testing throughout employment.
Qualified individuals interested in this position should contact the Personnel Department at 865-425-3564.
THE CITY OF OAK RIDGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
INCLUDING THE DISABLED