Personnel Advisory Board
Risk Management Home
City of Oak Ridge Home
Current City Job Openings
You can receive an application by walk-in, email, or write to the Personnel Department, City of Oak Ridge, Municipal Building, P.O. Box 1, 200 S. Tulane Ave., Oak Ridge, TN 37831-0001, or telephone the office at (865) 425-3564. The Personnel Department email address
. You may also click
to download a copy of our application. Your application will be accepted at any time by mail,
, or during regular office hours,
, Monday through Friday. Resumes may be forwarded to the Personnel Department at the above address. You need only one application to be considered for all vacant jobs that you qualify for. You must fill out the application form completely, and all statements on the form are subject to verification.
Parks Technician II
: Step 1: $ 15.95 per hour
PRIMARY JOB TASKS:
1. Performs parks maintenance such as repairs to fences, benches, picnic tables, garbage cans, exercise station equipment, signs, shelters and any other existing structures.
2. Controls and manages invasive vegetation in and around parks. Prunes healthy trees and removes dead or hazardous trees in parks.
3. Performs playground maintenance, assisting with repairs and replacement of playground equipment at the playground. Performs monthly playground safety inspections and maintains required documentation.
4. Performs landscape maintenance, including edging and mulching beds, weeding, watering, fertilizing, turf renovation and pruning. Installs plant material and hardscapes
5. Cleans, lubricates, and performs preventive maintenance or repair on equipment.
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATIONS:
1. High School diploma/ GED. A degree in Recreation or Plant Sciences/ Ornamental Horticultural desirable.
2. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision; take responsibility for quality and timeliness of work; respond to unplanned requests; complete assigned tasks and report progress; demonstrate behavior consistent with Department direction.
3. Knowledge of principles and techniques of horticulture, grounds maintenance and irrigation.
4. Must possess a valid Tennessee driver’s license and a good driving record and be able to drive manual transmission trucks; may be required to obtain a commercial driver’s license.
5. Possession of Playground Safety Inspector certification or obtain within twelve (12) months of appointment or date of first available certification offering.
6. Possession of state pesticide certification, Category 3, or obtain within six months of appointment or date of first available certification offering.
7. Ability to lift or carry up to seventy-five (75) pounds; to work in all weather conditions; ability to bend, stop and climb ladders when necessary.
8. Basic knowledge of computers and ability to perform data entry.
9. Ability to follow oral and written instructions and to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Individuals interested in this position must place an application on file with the Personnel Department by
12:00 noon, May 2, 2018.
WEB AND DATABASE DEVELOPER
PAY GRADE: L;
(Salary Range - $44,709 -$52,533)
Essential Job Functions
• Builds and maintains all pages for the City website, City intranet and other special event web sites using various content and desktop publishing software.
• Assists departments with developing content for departmental web pages to ensure effective communications and uniformity of presentation.
• Proofreads and edits all pages before publishing departmental web content.
• Researches and implements new web technology.
• Tracks and reports web statistics to determine the effectiveness of a webpage or document.
• Provides help desk support for a wide variety of computer applications.
• Assists with setting up technical equipment for meetings, webinars and events.
• Performs database design and maintenance; develops a variety of front end solutions for database use.
• Performs database administration including configuration, report writing, backups, and optimization.
• Provides technical expertise and consultation regarding operational effectiveness of online applications.
• Troubleshoots the nature and sources of online application problems and facilitates resolution based on the diagnosis; ensures implementation of appropriate backup procedures.
• Assists user departments in development or modification of procedures relative to changes in applications.
• Integrates data to interface with other online systems.
• Designs and creates user specified reports and custom screens with related tables, views, and stored procedures.
• Works with other IS staff to ensure documentation and resolution of user problems as needed.
• Assists user departments and IS staff in testing of programs, processes, and training as appropriate.
• Assists IS technical staff in the verification and documentation of procedures.
• Provides overall assistance with IT supported hardware and applications in use by local and remote users across multiple sites.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
• Ability to define problems, gather and interpret data, establish facts and provide alternative solutions.
• Ability to apply analytic techniques appropriate to a wide variety of organizational questions and problems.
• Ability to determine needs of users.
• Ability to act in a team environment and to provide excellent service and support for IT users.
• Ability to think logically and handle critical decisions calmly, accurately, and in a timely manner.
• Ability to apply color balance and graphic design principles to digital and print media.
• Skill in photo editing and image management.
• Knowledge of principles and practices of personal computer and networked computer operations including hardware, software and data communications in an online environment.
• Skill in analyzing complex administrative information and issues, defining problems and evaluating alternatives and recommending methods, procedures and techniques for resolution of issues.
• Ability to research and analyze detailed information and make appropriate recommendations.
• Ability to plan, develop, implement, and evaluate projects and programs.
• Ability to perform detailed work accurately and independently in compliance with stringent time limits with minimal direction and supervision.
• Ability to prioritize duties to accomplish a high volume of work product while adapting to constant changes in priority.
• Knowledge of City policies, procedures and practices.
• Knowledge of local government organization and its departmental operating requirements.
• Considerable knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
• Ability to analyze and prepare organizational and functional reports from research data.
• Ability to work the allocated hours of the position.
Education, Experience, and Certifications:
• Associate’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field and two (2) years relevant Information Technology experience demonstrating increasing responsibilities or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Must be Certified Microsoft Database Administrator.
Individuals interested in this position must have a completed application form on file in the Personnel Department by
12:00 noon on Friday, May 4, 2018
Electric Line Technician (Lineman)
Entry level - $32.32 per hour/$67,232 annually
PRIMARY JOB TASKS:
Works with various Electric Department crews in installing or repairing high voltage electrical distribution system components, electrical meters, traffic signals and controllers, and electric fixtures in City facilities. Must perform both underground and overhead work.
1. High school diploma or GED with basic knowledge of trigonometry and a basic understanding of the principles of electricity.
2. Must have successfully completed a four-year electric lineman apprenticeship training program.
3. Completion of an electric line tech program with an apprenticeship program and specialty in electric metering.
4. Possession, or ability to obtain within six months of appointment, a valid Tennessee Class A Commercial Driver's License with air brakes endorsement. The ability to manipulate the controls of large trucks and backhoes.
5. Physical ability to lift and hold fifty (50) pounds to the shoulder level; to work in all weather conditions and on all types of terrain; and to tolerate heights and confined areas. Manual dexterity which permits the use of hand tools while wearing size 8 or larger high voltage gloves. Physical ability to climb electrical poles. Good peripheral vision and adequate hearing (natural or corrected). A lack of life threatening sensitivity to insects and various weather and environmental conditions.
6. The ability to operate various types of construction equipment including backhoes, dump trucks, digger-derrick trucks, bucket trucks and trenchers.
7. The ability to work safely close to energized high voltage cables, wire, and equipment, and to work as a member of a team.
8. The ability to interact effectively with supervisors, co-workers and the public and to closely follow oral and written instructions.
9. Must pass medical evaluation and drug screening prior to appointment. Subject to random alcohol and drug testing throughout employment.
Qualified individuals interested in this position should contact the Personnel Department at 865-425-3564.
SUMMER RECREATION POSITIONS
Recreation Leaders and Lifeguards
The City of Oak Ridge is accepting applications for Summer Camp and Swimming Pool positions for 2018. All applicants must be at least age 16 and certified to apply for lifeguard positions and must be at least age 18 and one year of college to apply for summer camp positions. The minimum salary will be at least $9.06 per hour. All applicants are subject to drug screening, background investigation and driver license check. Applications are available in the Personnel Department in the Municipal Building, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday or online at www.oakridgetn.gov. Applications received by Friday, March 9, 2018 will be reviewed and considered for summer openings before those received after that date.
THE CITY OF OAK RIDGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
INCLUDING THE DISABLED