Personnel Advisory Board
Risk Management Home
City of Oak Ridge Home
Current City Job Openings
You can receive an application by walk-in, email, or write to the Personnel Department, City of Oak Ridge, Municipal Building, P.O. Box 1, 200 S. Tulane Ave., Oak Ridge, TN 37831-0001, or telephone the office at (865) 425-3564. The Personnel Department email address
. You may also click
to download a copy of our application. Your application will be accepted at any time by mail,
, or during regular office hours,
, Monday through Friday. Resumes may be forwarded to the Personnel Department at the above address. You need only one application to be considered for all vacant jobs that you qualify for. You must fill out the application form completely, and all statements on the form are subject to verification.
Public Safety Communications Officer (Dispatcher)
SALARY GRADE: H – 1
($15.95 per hour; $33,176.00 annually)
PRIMARY JOB TASKS:
1. Operates multi-line telephone including Police, Fire, Ambulance, and Police Department routine and in-house lines.
2. Dispatches Police, Fire and Ambulance personnel on a routine basis. Dispatches wrecker service, Animal Control Officers and stand-by Public Works and Electrical employees as needed. Enters dispatch information into computer database.
3. Answers citizen inquires on telephone and walk-in basis or refers to proper department.
4. Uses NCIC computer to run checks and enter information on stolen property, wanted persons, criminal histories, and other items; sends administrative messages through NLETS systems to other agencies; runs driver's licenses and registration numbers through TIES. Maintains and updates warrants on in-house computer.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
1. High School graduate with one year of Public Safety communications related experience and TIES Certification or the ability to obtain the required certification after training.
2. Prior experience with PC based computer systems, Public Safety radio and paging systems, computerized telephone systems, and a variety of standard office equipment.
3. Able to type, excellent language and writing skills and good telephone voice.
4. Ability to remain calm and efficient under stress and to use tact in dealing with citizens and fellow employees.
5. Ability to determine seriousness of situations reported and to use discretion in determining appropriate allocation of emergency resources.
Position involves rotating shift work. Applicants will go through various selection steps including appearing before an oral interview board, a psychological evaluation, a medical examination and drug screening.
To participate in the selection process for this position, you must have a completed application on file in the Personnel Department of the City of Oak Ridge by
12:00 noon Friday, June 29, 2018
Electric Line Technician (Lineman)
Entry level - $32.32 per hour/$67,232 annually
PRIMARY JOB TASKS:
Works with various Electric Department crews in installing or repairing high voltage electrical distribution system components, electrical meters, traffic signals and controllers, and electric fixtures in City facilities. Must perform both underground and overhead work.
1. High school diploma or GED with basic knowledge of trigonometry and a basic understanding of the principles of electricity.
2. Must have successfully completed a four-year electric lineman apprenticeship training program.
3. Completion of an electric line tech program with an apprenticeship program and specialty in electric metering.
4. Possession, or ability to obtain within six months of appointment, a valid Tennessee Class A Commercial Driver's License with air brakes endorsement. The ability to manipulate the controls of large trucks and backhoes.
5. Physical ability to lift and hold fifty (50) pounds to the shoulder level; to work in all weather conditions and on all types of terrain; and to tolerate heights and confined areas. Manual dexterity which permits the use of hand tools while wearing size 8 or larger high voltage gloves. Physical ability to climb electrical poles. Good peripheral vision and adequate hearing (natural or corrected). A lack of life threatening sensitivity to insects and various weather and environmental conditions.
6. The ability to operate various types of construction equipment including backhoes, dump trucks, digger-derrick trucks, bucket trucks and trenchers.
7. The ability to work safely close to energized high voltage cables, wire, and equipment, and to work as a member of a team.
8. The ability to interact effectively with supervisors, co-workers and the public and to closely follow oral and written instructions.
9. Must pass medical evaluation and drug screening prior to appointment. Subject to random alcohol and drug testing throughout employment.
Qualified individuals interested in this position should contact the Personnel Department at 865-425-3564.
THE CITY OF OAK RIDGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
INCLUDING THE DISABLED