Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Community Development's new, online CityView Portal

What is CityView?

  • CityView is the City of Oak Ridge’s new, easier way to apply for permits and inspections, make planning and zoning requests, and contact code enforcement entirely online, from your computer or your phone.
  • Visit the CityView Portal here.

What types of applications can be submitted in CityView?

  • Building and Land Disturbance Permits
  • Trades Permits (Mechanical, Plumbing, Electric)
  • Code Complaints
  • Planning and Zoning Requests (plats, site plans, etc.)

How do I get started?

  • Soon, you’ll be able to go to CityView webpage and click ‘Register’ to create a CityView account. Only code violation complaints may be submitted without creating an account, in order to remain anonymous.

What are the benefits of having a CityView Account?

  • 24-hour access to services and information
  • Submit permit and planning applications online
  • Check the status of a permit, upload additional documents, or communicate with City Staff
  • Pay fees online (surcharge will be added)
  • View past, present, and pending applications
  • Request and schedule inspections and see inspection results
  • Track the status of a code violation complaint

What sort of information will I need to setup a CityView account?

  • To create a CityView account, the following information is required:
    • Email Address
    • Mailing Address
    • Contact Phone Number
    • Preferred contact method (email, mail, fax, phone)
  • To protect your account and set up login information, you will be asked to create a password

Can I still submit applications at the permit desk?

  • All applicants are encouraged to submit applications online via CityView.  A computer for public use is located in front of the permit desk so that staff can assist applicants in person.  Complete mailed applications are also accepted.  At any time during business hours, customers can contact the Community Development office at or by calling (865) 425-3532 for Codes or (865) 425-3531 for Planning.  
Resources and how-to demonstrations:

*Check back here for more updates.*